New 30-Song Tribute Album - We Remember Dennis Brown
The late Dennis Brown will be honoured with a massive tribute album to be released in May 2016: We Remember Dennis Brown!
See the full tracklist, listen to the first single releases and read the official press release below:
February 1st, marked the late reggae and lover's rock icon Dennis Brown's 59th birthday. Hailed by NPR Morning Edition as one of the 50 great voices of all time and by Bob Marley as one of the best reggae singers in the world - the revered Jamaican icon began his recording career at the tender age of 11 and has more than 75 albums to date. Even though he passed away at the early age of 42, his music and legacy lives on.
VP Records, reggae's leading distributor and label, will pay homage this spring with an extensive tribute album We Remember Dennis Brown of his timeless hits covered by some reggae and R&B’s most renowned artists today. Each song was re-produced by Jamaican legend Clive Hunt with his all-star team of musicians to give each song an authentic yet fresh feel.
To celebrate the icon during his birthday month, VP Records released one song from the album every week - including Caress Me Girl on Feb 5 from one of Jamaica's brightest voices Romain Virgo, Milk & Honey on Feb 12 by roots reggae rockers Raging Fyah, Bloody City on Feb 19 from the Caribbean's soulful songstress Jah9, Promised Land on Feb 26 from Hawaiian reggae band The Green and Have You Ever on Mar 4 by R&B powerhouse Marsha Ambrosius.
In addition to these power hitters, We Remember Dennis Brown will feature an array of singers from Brown's native country and across the globe who he influenced. Jamaica's latest crop of stars (including Jah Cure, Gyptian, Chronixx and Jesse Royal) as well as the island's icons who worked with Brown (like reggae vocalists Bushman and Freddie McGregor) all offer their contributions. Freddie's son Chino McGregor and Christopher Ellis, the talented UK-based singer and offspring of Alton Ellis (another one of Brown's musical mentors and confidants), both deliver powerful renditions of Brown's classics. New Zealand rockers also create a breezy rendition of If I Had The World. The worldly collection proves that his universal sound transcends all boundaries of time, race and creed. Each artist adds their own original flair to Brown's profound soul-stirring sound - touching the hearts of new and old fans alike on this unique multi-disc collection. We Remember Dennis Brown will include deluxe packaging as well as extensive liner notes on the belated legend.
01. I Need Your Love (Rasta Children) - Iba Mahr, Jesse Royal, Keznamdi, Chronixx, Exco Levi, Kelissa, Jahmiel, Kabaka Pyramid and Rockaz Elements
02. Don't Want to be No General - Bushman
03. Promised Land - The Green
04. Milk and Honey - Raging Fyah
05. Created By the Father - Christopher Ellis
06. Words of Wisdom - Mutabaruka & Marla Brown
07. Melting Pot - Chino
08. The Existence of Jah - Yahsha
09. Halfway Up, Halfway Down- Jamelody
10. Little Village - Freddie McGregor
11. Easy Take It Easy - Mykal Rose
12. Bloody City - Jah9
13. Wolves and Leopard - Richie Spice
14. Liberation - Shugah
15. To the Foundation - VP Hit Team
01. Caress Me - Romain Virgo
02. Have You Ever - Marsha Ambrosius
03. Rocking Time - No Maddz
04. Love Me Always - Maxi Priest
05. Love Has Found It's Way - Jamelody & Ikaya
06. Your Love Got a Hold On Me - Sanchez
07. If I Had the World - Katchafire
08. Should I - Etana
09. Stay At Home - Jah Cure
10. Baby Don't Do It - Christopher Martin
11. How Can I - Gyptian
12. For You - Ikaya
13. No More Will I Roam - Dalton Harris
14. Money in My Pocket - Jah Vinci
15. Silhouette - VP Hit Team